Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Day 512, Update #3, 3:05 AM

Gage is back in the OR.  They took him back at 3:00 AM.  We all were able to walk him down with Queen playing "We are the Champions." Not sure where he has heard that one, but that is what he wanted and that is what he got.  He was very scared and teary.

 I was able to wear a "bunny suit" and go into the OR room with him.  He was so scared when we walked into the OR room he stopped and tried to turn around and walk out (I don't blame him, I would have been the same way).  I picked him up and carried him to the table. His last words were, "they are going to kill me" through crying eyes. They gave him some medicine to relax him and then he calmed down. A few minutes later, they got the call from the procurement team that it was okay to put him to sleep.  I kissed him and walked out of the room with a heavy heart for what he is about to endure.

We still don't know if it is an all the way green light yet.  Everything is very timed and very coordinated.  They can put him under anesthesia and still not give him the transplant.  The procurement team has to see the donor heart with their eyes and then give the green for a go.  Until I know it is a definite green light I will not get excited.

The kids and I moved our stuff back into the RMH.  As we had to pack up our room before we left for Oregon since we were going to be gone for more than a couple days.  We boxed up our room and left it in a storage room at the RMH.  So, we unpacked and moved back into our same room.  Finally fell asleep after 9:00.

Lots of emotions going on right now.  Same emotions we have felt with the girls during their transplants.  Excitement that the time has finally arrived, sorrow for the donor and their family, and fear for Gage and this surgery.








10 comments:

Unknown said...

Reading your blog has again filled me with a ton of emotions. Hope, Courage and Love to name a few. You are such an amazing family and I am praying that all goes as planned. You got this Gage!!

Hugs and Love from Wisconsin

rondacae said...

All of our love and prayers from home! Speedy recovery for brave Gage and brave Bingham family. Prayers of sorrow and gratitude for the donor family as well. God bless all of you!

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Oh Gage. You sweet little boy. God Speed. Praying and fasting for you today. xoxoxox
Andi, in Haines

Anonymous said...

The pictures of Gage hugging Hunter and Lindsey are so precious. They make me cry every time I look at them. I hope you can all find peace and rest while you endure the long wait today.

Unknown said...

This has me bawling. What a scary experience for him. Our prayers are with you Gage, your family and the donor family.

Joanie said...


Being a mom of a son that had a heart transplant 3 1/2 years ago. I've been following your journey. I'm sending Gage courage and love. The pictures are so sweet but the pix of Gage and Hunter brought tears to my eyes So touching. Love and Light ❤️

Kathy K said...

Sending prayers for your family, the surgeons, and the grieving family!🙏

Janelle said...

I'm crying too. You all are "The Champions." Next time I hear that song, I'll think of your family. Very emotional post.

your mom goes to uvu said...

Lots of prayers from the Bingham family in Argentina !

Unknown said...

Many prayers and love sent your way and to the donor family. I am hopeful that everything is okay we haven't heard from you in a couple days but please know we are all praying your strength and strength for Gage!!! God is great and He cannot fail!