Friday, April 14, 2017

Busy Day, All Wonderful

I apologize for the late post, it has been a wonderfully busy day.  Let's just start off by saying, Gage is doing great.  He can't leave the hospital until his Prograf levels are where they want them.  Prograf is one of the 2 medications he is on that suppresses his immune system.  They want the levels between 10-14 and today he was 5.  Usually they adjust the med and you don't see the results for a few days.  His incision on his sternum has been leaking in one spot.  Nothing major, the surgeon (Dr. Meata) is just concerned that where liquid is coming out bacteria can get in.  So, they put a vacuum seal type device called a "wound vac" to keep any air from getting in so he won't get an infection.  He is now tethered again to a hose and a 20 lb. machine.  He wasn't particularly thrilled for this.  It is not permanent, but will be on for 5 days.  Unfortunately, he cannot leave the hospital with this on, so it looks like he will be in the hospital at least until Tuesday next week.

He attended the hospital school today.  He was really excited because today was art day.  It was really weird to take him there and not have to stay.  He and I have been tethered at the hip for almost 17 months.  I wasn't sure what to do with myself.  I returned to his room and my question was answered.  The pharmacist came in and discussed with me the 16 different meds he is currently taking.  After talking with her, we had fun visitors come. Gage took a 2 hour nap after.  Not sure he is getting great sleep at night.  He was pretty exhausted today. After his nap, he had physical therapy. He had a real treat, as his therapist was Sandra from the Lindsey days.  We don't get to see her as much anymore.  Gage started the session off ornery, but by the end she had him smiling.  Later this afternoon, after I grabbed Hunter from the bus, we had some of Gage's friends come and his teacher Mrs. Blazensky.  I hesitate to mention the visitors, because I don't want to forget anyone. But, it has been a really fun day.

Unfortunately, he will not be out of the hospital for Easter, but his siblings will go to the Easter egg hunt and represent him well.  I did hear the hospital might being doing something.

Jason is busy in Oregon, barely coming up for air.  If I remind him that there is only 4 more days of tax season, it causes a panic attack instead of comfort. So, I will just keep cheering him on from the sidelines.

A fun "Nixon" dolphin brought in by Mrs. B from the staff.


 Some of Gage's friends.

The "wound vac" 


 PT today



9 comments:

Jeanette said...

Wow a busy day for sure! Continued prayers. Gage is looking so good.

Anonymous said...

Great day, great pics, great smiles! The wound vac looks like it will do the job! Snowing in High Valley, and tell the Man of Steel I'm still whining about a sliver in my finger! Gage...you're my hero! Hope ya'll have a Blessed Easter!Good things are coming!

ReNae Coelman said...

Love hearing this great news. So excited that Gage is doing so well. The bike PT looks pretty fun! The wound vac looks quite interesting. I'm grateful for every device that has been invented to help make Gage all better!! Keep on trucking, Gage! We love you so much!!
'

Olivia d'Arezzo said...

I am so, so happy Gage is doing well! It's unfortunate that he must stay in the hospital longer, but I am glad he can attend the hospital school. My thoughts are with your family as you continue on your journey! We will miss you here in Palo Alto, yet it is wonderful that your family will be together and healthy again! I wish you all a Happy Easter.

Linda D said...

It's amazing how his little body bounces back.such wonderful news.prayers for all

Sister Gilbert said...

Great job Gage! You'll be back in Oregon before you know it!

Don and lois said...

Praying for this strong, brave young man. Proud of your Gage, what a handsome young man.happy easter to the family.

Linda Wentworth said...

Gage...you look amazing...you really are the super hero Ive heard about! Keep it up!

jennifercav said...

Pretty amazing! Thanks for the update. I am so happy for these reports.