Tuesday, June 16, 2015

8:55 pm, Nick's heart


Checking in. Sierra has been in surgery since 5:45 pm. Last thing we heard was that she was on 'hold'.  All of the different lines are in, 4-5 I think.  She has been put to sleep. Now they are waiting on the procurement team to check out, inspect and prepare the donor heart.

It has been pretty exciting around here.  I (Jason) drove home to Oregon with Hunter and Lindsey yesterday, the usual 13 hour drive.  Went to bed around 10:30 pm, then less than 2 hours later at 12:04, Stacy called me with 'The Call'.  Didn't know what to do.  Get up? Wake the kids up? Leave for Calif right now?  Make a bunch of calls?  Go back to bed?  Stacy and I were pretty sure it wouldn't happen right then, so I went back to sleep.  By 8:00 am we had figured out what to do with the kids, rearrange work, line up a  flight to Calif, and head out.  Between Brad Allen's plane and Lalo Gaura as the pilot, I was back in Calf by 3:00 pm.

The reason I haven't blogged much is how incredibly busy I have been.  Between the office, ranch, baseball, kids activities, and church, I just haven't had time.  Now I am here, with time and ready to go.

9:20 pm. Just heard from the doctors, and they said it is a go.  They have physically seen the new heart and have given the green light to open Sierra up and start dissecting.  Can't believe I just used the word dissecting,  Anyway, that is how Dr Katz put it.  Katz is the same doctor that did Lindsey's transplant.

Lindsey is home going to he Pine Eagle Basketball Camp.  Molly said she did good today and did not get home sick, but it is only the first day.  Hunter helped his grandpa all day with the cows and chores.

Couple of thought regarding Sierra's original donor, Nicholas and his family.  We were talking today about them.  Gena, James and the rest of Nick's family are the true hero's.  They were the ones that decided to allow organ donation 9 years ago under the most uncomprehendable situation.  I have so much respect for them.  My heart goes out to them at this hour.  Right about now, 9:30 pm, Nick's heart is coming to stop for the final time.....  Something that they have held onto for 9 years is now coming to an end....  God bless Gena,  James, Sherry and the rest of Nick's family.

Till next time.
Jason















    

5 comments:

Mama Kat said...

Don't typically comment, but always follow closely as my daughter has DCM as well, and know most likely we will be fighting the same things. Today felt like I needed to let you know I am praying for you, and all your family.
Kathie, mama of Tara

The Lewis Family said...

WOW Jason Those are powerful words regarding nick's family. Bless that sweet boy for giving Sierra 9 more years. I have tears running down my check as I type. I will add my prayers for his family and the new donor as well. I pray Sierra will make a quick and strong recovery.
Love you all,
Rchelle

Ms. A said...

Prayers for Sierra, Nick's family, your family and the new donor's family. Hoping everything goes super smooth and she has a quick recovery!

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blogs since Valentines day for Lindsey. I watched on TV the documentary of your families struggles with DCM, and your family is in my thought and prayers often. I was raised in Baker and graduated there in 72 and went into the Navy, so I know where exactly where you are, and BTW love your hunting expeditions. Thank you so much for sharing the happenings of the Bingham family, you are and will continue to be in my prayers. God Bless.
r/Joseph Parker
Mount Vernon, WA.

Anonymous said...

You're making me tear up thinking about Nick's heart. What you've wrote about his family is so touching. I'm so happy this happened so quickly for Sierra.
Janelle