Sunday, April 10, 2016

Day 153, Spring break

Jason here.   Coming at you from Alaska Airlines on my way home to Oregon.  I’m home for the final stretch of tax season.   It has been an exciting week.   I took the kids home for spring break.  They had a great time. We kept it a surprise, so if was fun for them to drop in at school and seminary.  Teachers, friends, cousins and especially grandparents loved seeing them.  They went to school, hung out at friends, played a little baseball, had overnighters at cousins, and a little house / yard work (there is a lot of that, that needs to be done).  Of course, Stacy and Gage Aurelius spent the week at the RMH. He is healthy enough to go to Oregon but there is no way they could tend to him if something were to go wrong.  His biggest risks continue to be internal bleeding / stock from too thin of blood, blood clots from too thick of blood, heart machine malfunction, or just good ole’ heart failure, all of which the Baker hospital would have a tough time addressing.  I know it was tough on Stacy to spend spring break alone with Gage, it was tough on all of us. 

My sister, Garrity and her boy John came up to Oregon to help run the kids around while I was working. Thanks Sis.  Her little 2 year old boy John was thee life of the party.  Our kids loved playing with him.  Friday, we drove to her and Seth’s house in Princeton Oregon.  Then left early Saturday for Calif. 

We had a great experience Saturday night.  The RMH staff asked us to share our story at the annual RMH fund raiser.  It was a high dollar dinner and auction with dancing afterwards.  The event was at the new RMH next door which will open its doors May 30.  Stacy and I shared our story with our kids standing next to us.  We took about 10 minutes and shared some of the challenges we have faced over the last 10 years.  Yes, it was 10 years ago this month when Sierra first got sick. 

After the dinner and program, we took the kids home to the RMH.   Once they were tucked into bed, with meds taken and Gage’s feeding tube running,  Stacy and I returned to the dance.  They had none other than Kool and the Gang there performing.  It reminded me of the good ole’ high school / stake dances in the 80’s when he was singing ‘Cherish the Night’ and ‘Celebration’.  It was quite a show.
Just to clarify, Gage really is doing well.  He is still a status 1a on the waiting list and has been on the list now since November 10th.  I am still growing the hair out until transplant.  Hair is getting quite curly so Stacy tried to straighten it before the RMH event.  Yes with a straightener.  That did NOT last long.  First of all I don’t like that hot straightener thingy next to my head.  Second, it made me look even older and grayer than I already am.  She and kids a lot of fun with it.   

Now it’s back to work, school and life. Tough leaving the family after only being there for 1 day, but this is where I am needed. 

Till next time
Jason

 Girls after their makeovers.


    After MY makeover (hair straightening???  I think not)
 At the RMH dinner

 Kool and the Gang








 Hayhurst came by for visit while we were in Oregon.  Nice visit with Stacy and Gage.
Stacy took Gage and Wyatt on a long walk while Kade and Stephanie Thomas were with their daughter Tristin in the hospital.   
 Those 2 were pretty funny together, but did a great job on a very long walk.

2 comments:

Danyell Nesser said...

I have a huge smile on my face from seeing these pics. Little man looks HAPPY !! ♡♡♡ I love that you used a straightener...lol that's awesome 😅😅. Rons had a few makeovers like that too. Trinity was absolutely thrilled to see Linds. Great to get a quick visit with the kids. Always in our thoughts and prayers. -The Nessers

Danyell Nesser said...

I have a huge smile on my face from seeing these pics. Little man looks HAPPY !! ♡♡♡ I love that you used a straightener...lol that's awesome 😅😅. Rons had a few makeovers like that too. Trinity was absolutely thrilled to see Linds. Great to get a quick visit with the kids. Always in our thoughts and prayers. -The Nessers